Saturday, May 16, 2009

A DESIGNER FOR ALL REASONS

I have often considered, when realistically reassessing what on earth I could change to make my little cramped apartment more functional, throwing everything out and substituting "Danish Modern" everything! The sleek and clean lines have always appealed to me, and at one time I had one wall of my house headed in that direction. But it just really never happened. Yet now, if my boat comes in, I think I will toss out all the cups in my cup collection, the busy floral print of my couch, the gee-gaw things in my curio cabinet and the country-style kitchen table, to name a few items. Out with the Early Salvation Army, in with the Danes.

But of course the ship isn't on the horizon and likely has been captured by the pirates, so I can only dream. I think I have mentioned in another blog just how small my miniscule bathroom is, and the other day when I opened up the LA Times and saw a whole-page layout on designer toilets, all of which were sleek and clean, I thought in my dreams that I might be able to use one in this apartment. My first choice, (above) while a little short on ambience, certainly seemed to have "BOBBY" written all over it. Look, another file drawer for my genealogy. Of course it is possible that the designer intended for that drawer to hold toilet paper and assorted items for one's ablutions, but I immediately saw GENEALOGY as its purpose.

My second choice, granted a little more esthetically pleasing, I think, was the egg-shaped toilet below. I am totally charmed by this toilet. The bidet I can do without, but the toilet really touches the "Danish" part of my soul. Having a toilet like this in my bathroom would please me greatly, and I would be much less likely to try to keep visitors to my little apartment from going into that postage-stamp sized room. I couldn't paint my walls red, as management would have a stroke, I'm sure, but perhaps I could buy bright red towels to hang around it.

In going online to try to find good pictures of these most-interesting toilets, I came upon all kinds of things about them. The picture below, if I understand the information online about it, is actually a public toilet in London. I think the egg-shape is a delightful touch, although I am not sure that anyone with even a tinch of claustrophobia wouldn't rather wet their pants than close themselves up in that egg. However, can't you just see big eggs like this being used as Porta-potties? It would be much more interesting seeing a bunch of them go down the freeway on the back of a truck to be delivered to a fair or perhaps to the men and woman doing community service along the freeways. No squarish PortaPotties any more; just sleek eggs!

But actually, now that I think of that scenario, I think there might be phone calls to the authorities about an invasion of the body-snatchers. Oh well.


Now the last thing I found on the net would obviously be for the person who had everything (or perhaps for the Madonna Inn). Take a look at this: a toilet by Herbeau.


Here is some of the promo listed on the internet site to explain what this design represents:

"As there was a French expression to go to the throne to say to go to the Toilets, Herbeau realized the combination between the Merovingian throne style and the holed armchair toilet of the XIXth century.

Merovingian is the king dynasty in FRANCE at 7th century and the most famous of them was DAGOBERT. There is a child song about this king who arrived at the minister’s council with his trousers on the wrong side. You obtain this music LE BON ROI DAGOBERT when you raise the lid.

When you pull the chain for the flush, you have a bell, which informs you that the operation has ended.

Included in the arm, you have the ashtray, and the candle is ready to help you in case of electricity breakage.

This throne highlights the toilets of many Restaurants and private homes around the world."

Now in case you are interested in this last one as a replacement for your old worn-out commode in your very large bathroom (it won't fit in mine), the cost has been reduced to just a little under $10,000.

Needless to say, but I say it with regret, I will not be Danishizing my apartment anytime soon, pirates notwithstanding, but at least I see now that if I did, I would certainly have a bunch of options to think about.

I have located some interesting tubs, too, but that will come at a later date.

No comments: