Saturday, April 24, 2010

UP CLOSE & PERSONAL


Have you ever been sitting out on your patio or porch watching the hummingbirds come to feed and have one come up and stare you right in the face? They are aggressive little things and between the sounds of their little wings and the nose-to-beak closeness of them, you feel like you are shortly going to be attacked. They are so much fun to watch, but between you and me, these little forays into my face are a bit offputting. I would like to get closer, but can't figure out how to do it.

Attempts have been made to bring the little things nearer. The fellow below had an idea and I don't see why it wouldn't work. However, I'm not sure I would be able to sit still enough while the hummers were flitting around trying to figure out just what was going on. I imagine there is a lot of darting and staring before the show gets on the road. I just don't know about this one, although the inventor here seems to be enjoying himself.



This next invention, shown below, was featured in the LA Times this morning. I laughed when I saw the contraption. But what caught my eye was the fact that there is a nice protective shield between the viewer and the hummer, allowing the little guy to get up close and friendly without the possibility of a good poke or two, which is what I always feel a hummer staring at me is going to do. Such unpredictable little darts and thrusts....but with this mask, I think I could do it!

Now this isn't to say I want one of these masks. If I were out for an evening stroll and saw someone sitting on their porch wearing this kind of contraption, I would walk home and tell Jerry I just saw a crazy person. I think I would have to have a whole lot more than a "private patio" to wear one of them. But I can surely see how it would accomplish a close-up and personal SAFE relationship with a hummer or two.

Take a bit of time and watch this most interesting and clever video. Then if you really are into your hummingbirds, you might want to become a customer.

No comments: