Thursday, February 21, 2013

BERT'S LUKSHEN KUGEL


I've had a hankering lately for lukshen kugel, the wonderful noodle pudding that Jerry's mother (Bertha, otherwise known as Bert) introduced me to.  Her version was not a sweet pudding but rather was eaten as the carbohydrate part of an evening meal - or a mid-day special occasion meal. 

It took some time before it locked into my brain that this "pudding" didn't have to be sweet, although there are some recipes that do add a whole bunch more sugar than Bert did.  And of course there are lots of things that can be added to it according to one's taste.  She used raisins in hers; I kept the raisins and added a lot of chopped dried apricots, as I think apricots add class, as well as taste, to everything!

Her recipe calls for sour cream; I like using cottage cheese in its place.  But regardless, lukshen kugel is yummy and I share Bert's recipe with you today, just the way she gave it to me.


BERT'S LUKSHEN KUGEL
8 oz wide egg noodle
3 eggs, well beaten

2 T butter
1 T sugar

¼ t cinnamon
½ t salt

½ c raisins
½ C sour cream

1 t lemon extract

Boil noodles for 5 minutes.  Drain.  Combine ingredients.  Bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour.
Happy eating!

No comments: