Saturday, July 19, 2008

GIRL SCOUT COOKIES

Today's LA Times has an article in it about a group of Girl Scouts in Claremont, California getting booted off the street while selling Girl Scout cookies. Since this happened some months ago I'm not sure why it was in the newspaper today, but it certainly reminded me of my many years of cookie-selling. Except that in that day we went door to door taking orders, and then delivering them when the shipment came in. I do believe we had lots of budding Type A personalities because we set goals for our sales and worked the neighborhoods like crazy to see who could sell the most boxes. In that day, no one considered having a working parent take boxes to sell at work.

Anyway, thinking of old Troop 28 in Long Beach, California brought back such good memories I just have to share a couple of photos with you. Troop 28 started in fall of 1945 and actually is still in existence, if you call regular reunions as indications of membership.


So here we are in 1947, in the middle of our third year of scouting. I'm sitting in the middle, front row, with my arm positioned to show all the badges on my sleeve. (Yes, Type A!)

And here we are again in 1988, posed in the same positions as we were earlier. Ladies in the front row were "newcomers" -- that is, they joined later.

Time is taking its toll on us and there are fewer now than in this picture. But even so, we get together when we can. Reminds me of the round we used to sing:

Make new friends, but keep the old
One is silver and the other gold.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

This brought back some memories of Girl Scouting for me also. What a good time I had. :o)