Wednesday, January 28, 2009

GOOD WORDS

Each day I receive from an online dictionary a new word, its definition and two examples of current usage. Sometimes I already know the word; sometimes I don’t know it but don’t care about it – and then there are other times that I am absolutely delighted at what I find there. Finding “Nugatory” sitting on my screen today was one of those times.

NUGATORY: The simplest definition is “trifling” or “inconsequential.” It could be used to describe a useless law or rule.

Such a word! Ranks right up there with another word I received earlier from this online dictionary:

MINATORY: This word is defined as "having a menacing quality" or "threatening." Having someone shake their fist in your face is a minatory gesture (until it becomes a punch). Anyway I do think I will be able to use these two words on occasion without seeming to be an egghead.

However, there are two rather egg-heady words that have worked their way into my subconscious and occasionally they pop out at the appropriate moments: “Pusillanimous" and "Myrmidon." I believe both came from a book written by William Manchester and which I had to have a dictionary beside me while I read. I can't tell you which one of his had these goodies in it cause I've read them all, I think. Anyway, "cowardly" is what pusillanimous means, and as I recall, Manchester used it in speaking of Hubert Humphrey. "Myrmidon" means a loyal follower or one who executes orders unquestioningly. A Myrmidon was a member of a legendary Thessalian people who took part with Achilles, their King, in the Trojan War. But you don't need to know all that background. If you read in the newspaper about someone doing a really stupid thing because they were told to, that person is a perfect candidate for being called a Myrmidon. It is not a nice sobriquet.

These latter two words, pusillanimous and Myrmidon, are in my brain if I need them. Ordinarily I don’t try to use big words when I’m speaking to people. But sometimes they show up when I am intense about what I am describing. A big word will just pop out, as if to say, “SO THERE!” No one ever asks me what they mean; I'm sure they don't care. But saying them certainly seems to give me some feeling of satisfaction.

I don’t know many people who enjoy “words.” My sis, who died several years ago, was one who did and I miss the conversations we used to have over new additions to our vocabulary. She delighted in words the same way I do. She would have loved both “Nugatory” and "Minatory," the latter most of all, I think. (Maybe she already knew it, though. She was a lot smarter than I am.)

I'd like to yell up past the ceiling and say, "Here, Sis. Here's a couple of good ones!” But I don't, and won't, but instead I'll send them on to you, just in case you like good words too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sean, Brendan, Caitlin & I all LOVE words! I subscribe to three different word-of-the-day services. Sean & I have a dictionary in the headboard of our bed, and any time we come across an unfamiliar word, out it comes. (For instance, it came out for defenestrate - to throw out a window.) We have discovered, however, that too many of the words we need to look up aren't in there. Time for a new dictionary!