Friday, January 30, 2009

MY 15 MINUTES OF FAME


It came early in my life. It is too long a story to go into but as it happened, Danny Kaye’s dog and I ended up in the same room (Danny Kaye’s kitchen) at the same time. The dog was a very large Great Dane and never having met me before, he wanted a good sniff.

As you can imagine, I stood very still. I was wearing a knit suit that had just come back from the cleaners, a cost I could ill afford as a freshman college student. Finally the huge dog decided he had smelled enough. He took in a big breath, shook his head sideways and huffed air and dog drool out of his nose and mouth, which of course flew all over the whole front of my once-clean suit. The dog left, grinning.

The caterer, mother of my college roommate, was horrified and set about cleaning me up. When I walked out to get in the car to go back to the dorm, I too grinned. Being a Danny Kaye fan, all I could say was, “This is quite exciting! I’ve just been slobbered on by Danny Kaye’s dog!”

So there you have it.

No comments: