Thursday, June 7, 2012

SURPRISE BLESSINGS



From time to time I have mentioned in this blog that I am quite fond of Jewish blessings.   Actually, I mostly like all blessings, regardless of their source but the Jewish blessings seem to be exceptionally focused on things one would often not even give a second thought to. 
And the blessing are not for what is given to us, but for the Giver of the blessing.
Many of these blessing are in the little prayer book that Jerry keeps on his closet shelf; just in the reading of these I always think that if I gave a little more thought to the things we are given, I would have less time to grumble about what I don’t have:

I’ve mentioned this one before:

On seeing a rainbow

Blessed are You, Lord our God, Ruler of the Universe, who remembers the covenant, and is faithful to God's covenant, and keeps God's promise.
And these too:

On seeing a giant or a dwarf

Blessed art thou, the Eternal, our God, King of the universe, who producest variously-formed creatures.

On getting new clothing:

Praised are thou, Eternal our god, King of the World, who clothes the naked.

On seeing a person who has recovered from a dangerous illness:
Blessed be the Merciful One, who hath given thee back to us, and not given thee unto the dust.

Now I never thought I had discovered ALL the blessings that Judaism has incorporated over the millennia, but today I found one that was so precise and so detailed that I just had to laugh.   And based on my own experience, I understand its truth!  It is a blessing to be said every morning and after using the bathroom.
The transliteration of the Hebrew is

Barukh attah Adonai, eloheinu melekh ha’olam, asher yatzar et ha’adam b’khochmah, u’vara vo nekavim nekavim, chalulim chalulim.  Galuy ve’yadua lifnei khisei khevodekha she’im yipateiach echad meihem, ‘o yisateim echad meihem, ‘i efshar le’hitkaiyeim ve’la’amod lefaneykha.  Barukh attah Adonai, rofei khol basar u’mafli la’asot.
And the English translation is this:

Blessed are You, LORD our God, Master of the universe, who formed mankind in wisdom, and created in him all manner of openings and cavities.  It is manifest and known before the throne of your glory that if any one of them ruptured or were blocked, it would be impossible to survive and stand before You.  Blessed are You, LORD, who heals all flesh and is wonderful in His acts.

And I, smiling, say AMEN!



1 comment:

June Calender said...

Wonderful list of blessings -- I'm expecially moved by there being a blessing for seeing a rainbow and for seeing giants and dwarfs.