Friday, August 14, 2009

BAD DOGS!

I have a soft spot in my heart for bad dogs – Pit bulls and Rottweilers come to mind, although even a Doberman or a German Shepherd can be vicious given the right dog and the right circumstances.

When Jerry and I were staying in Amsterdam for two months after leaving Istanbul and prior to settling back in California for good, we did a lot of walking around the town. As it happened we were there from December 20 to the end of February, two of the very coldest months of the year. When we went out we bundled up so that we looked like little rotund balls with legs. However, learning to dress warmly is another story; this one is about Rottweilers.

In the city itself, with apartments lining each canal, there is no grass whatsoever. Along each street there are signs that say, in effect, “Gutter your dog.”


People who have dogs for pets take them on leashes and when it looks like a daily duty is about to happen, they lead the dog over to the gutter and the dog knows what to do. As nearly as I can remember, they did not use pooper-scoopers, but they may have.

Anyway, one day we were walking and saw just ahead of us a woman with a Rottweiler on a leash. The Rottie was carrying a stuffed teddy bear. Suddenly the dog walked over to the edge of the sidewalk, laid the teddy bear down on the curb, and then stepped off to do his duty. Once finished, the doggie retrieved the bear and went on his way. Jerry and I were dumbfounded at the cleverness of this dog – or maybe he/she had simply been well trained. I cannot look at a Rottweiler today without seeing the little Dutch dog with his teddy bear. I wouldn’t go up and pet a stray Rottweiler, but I do feel differently about them now.

And after seeing a picture in yesterday’s LA times of a particular pit bull, I found myself thinking that those dogs too just can’t be ALL bad. Somewhere in this dog’s little soul is a flicker of goodness. I have studied the face of this happy dog, and all I see is a happy dog, not a bad dog.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Great picture of the bull dog on his owners back. I wonder how they taught him to do that. :o) I had some friend that had a Rottie and they had five kids. The Rottie was sooooo gentle and so kind. One of the best dogs I have ever met. When it comes to the dogs with bad reputations, I think it has to do more with how they are raised and treated. :o)