Thursday, December 3, 2009

WELCOMING E T


I couldn't believe the headlines I was reading: "JUST IN CASE SPACE ALIENS VISIT DENVER - A Ballot Initiative Will Ask Voters to Approve a Welcoming Panel for Extraterrestrials."

According to this morning's LA Times, a fellow in Denver has garnered 4000 valid signatures that were needed to place before the electorate in 2010 an anitiative to create an Extraterrestrial Affairs Commission, whose job would be to promote good relationships between any visiting extraterrestrials and the ordinary people of Denver. Among other things, there also would be an expert appointed to take testimony from people who have already had encounters with such ETs.

Now further on in the article it says that all the other UFO-type organizations in the US are somewhat nonplussed about this fellow getting this far in his quest for civility and they all have something to say, mostly things that sound to me fairly like sour grapes. The person who has started all this, Jeff Peckman, says they needn't worry, as their concern is mostly with UFOs and his is with the ET civilians.

The Times indicates that Colorado is not known for its active UFO enthusiasts like the New Mexico Area 51 has - and I would think maybe the old Wright-Patterson area still has. But it also intimates that primaries usually have low turnouts and an oddball initiative just may have a chance of passing. One never knows!

As some of you know, I have relatives peppered all over Colorado but since none of them live in Denver proper, I can be assured that it wasn't my kith and kin that had anything to do with this. We may do strange things sometimes but wanting to form such a Commission isn't one of them, I'm sure.

I'm going to have to keep my eyes open on how this very strange initiative turns out.

No comments: