Saturday, August 18, 2012

CAN YOU AFFORD SWORDFISH?

Many years ago Jerry nominated himself as the fish cooker of the family.  It was a good idea, because it was the only way he was going to get good stuff.  I admit to being a terrible fish cooker -- just don't have it in my genes, I guess.  Anyway, he combed the newspapers and magazines for recipes, and when he hit this one, he had a keeper!  I have no idea where the recipe came from, but whoever devised it should get a medal.

Unfortunately in the intervening years the cost of swordfish has put this delicious dish way out of our budget.  But we can dream.......


GRILLED MARINATED SWORDFISH STEAKS

 4 center-cut swordfish steaks - 1-inch thick
Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 tablespoons red wine vinegar
4 sprigs fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
¼ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (optional)

Preheat charcoal grill or broiler.

Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper on both sides. Place oil in a flat dish, add soy sauce, vinegar, rosemary, garlic, coriander, cumin, lemon rind and pepper flakes.  Blend well.  Place fish steaks in marinade, coat well on both side.  Cover with plastic wrap and let marinate for 15 minutes.

Place fish on grill and cook for 5-6 minutes on side or until done.

Makes 4 servings.

2 comments:

Olga said...

This does sound delicious. I think we have had swordfish once in the past five years. We used to have it for a summer night, special Saturday kind of meal.

virginiaGaylSalazar said...

Have not ever had swordfish to my knowledge. I much prefer fried oysters and my husband likes salmon which I don't like, although it would be better for me I hear than oysters, fried.