Sunday, March 8, 2009

TO KEEP THEIR MEMORY ALIVE II

Among the burials in this pet cemetery many headstones have religious identification on them. This was sort of a surprise to me when I first saw them, and to Jerry, whose first visit was yesterday. There were many headstones with Stars of David on them. The "Christian" headstones generally either had crosses or Bible verses on them. During the 17 years we had Tigger, who was born in Turkey, we never thought of him as being connected to, or touched by, a religious association, even though he was born in Turkey, a muslim country. But just because we didn't, that doesn't mean others don't. The pet owner has the last say of what he or she wants commemorated about the animal who meant so much to them. And for them a logical extension of their own religion covers their beloved pet too.

Below is what I call an ultimate tribute to a feral cat, who I think was one lucky kitty. I must admit that while we were in Turkey with no family there to interact with, there were times that I called Tigger my furry child.

I had to laugh at this stone. First because who would think of an emotional attachment to a turtle, though someone did. And secondly because of the question mark shown for a birth date.


One makes the assumption that in a pet cemetery "Our Baby Girl" and "Little Monkeys" is, in fact, a female monkey. In times past I sometimes referred to my kids as little monkeys.



Even some rabbits are lucky enough to have owners who care enough above and beyond the call of duty to put the bunny in a pet cemetery.

This cemetery has one area set aside for "special" dogs -- those serving in police departments, in various wars, and so forth. There are not a lot of burials there yet. It is hard to look at that area without having tears spill out of one's eyes. Very, very touching.

The final installment will come tomorrow.

No comments: