Sunday, March 15, 2009

THE UKE and THE BOX and ME


If you were a teenager in the late 1940s and early 1950s you'll probably look at the crate above and say to yourself, "I used to know a song about a wooden crate." And if you were like me, you would have remembered that you used to play it on your ukulele and everyone would have a rollicking good time singing along with you. Those were good years to be a teenager. See if you can remember the tune - and get your uke out if you still have it:

THE THING – Phil Harris 1950

..........C........................C.................................F...........................C
While I was walkin' down the beach one bright and sunny day
......C......................C..........................D7...............G7
I saw a great big wooden box a-floatin' in the bay
.......C.....................C............................F...................G7
I pulled it in and opened it up and much to my surprise
.......C......................x x x....C.........G7...........C
Oh, I discovered a ! ! !, right before my eyes
Oh, I discovered a ! ! !, right before my eyes

......C........................C.........................F...............C
I picked it up and ran to town as happy as a king
.....C................C............................D7................G7
I took it to a guy I knew who'd buy most anything
........C.........................C..........................F........................G7
But this is what he hollered at me as I walked in his shop
................C.................................x x x....C.........G7....C
"Oh, get out of here with that ! ! !, before I call a cop
Oh, get out of here with that ! ! !, before I call a cop”

.....C.....................C..........................F............................C
I wandered all around the town until I chanced to meet
....C.......................C....................D7.....................G7
A hobo who was lookin' for a handout on the street
........C................................C.........................F...........................G7
He said he'd take most any old thing, he was a desperate man
.........C.....................................x x x......C...........G7...............C
But when I showed him the ! ! !, he turned around and ran
Oh, when I showed him the ! ! !, he turned around and ran

.....C..........................C......................F....................C
I wandered on for many years a victim of my fate
.....C....................C......................D7..................G7
Until one day I came upon St. Peter at the gate
..........C.........................C.........................F..........................G7
And when I tried to take it inside he told me where to go
..........C.................................x x x.........C.........G7........C
“Get out of here with that ! ! !, and take it down below
Oh get out of here with that ! ! !, and take it down below”

.........F...................F..................Bb.........................F
The moral of this story is: if you're out on the beach
..........F............................F...........................G7........................C7
And you should see a great big box, and it's within your reach
............F......................F...........................Bb...................C7
Don't ever stop and open it up, that's my advice to you
.....................F...............................XXX......F............C7............F
'cause you'll never get rid of the ! ! !, no matter what you do
Oh you'll never get rid of the ! ! !, no matter what you do


A special thanks to Phil Harris for this song and for the memories that warm the cockles of our aging hearts!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bobby,
I remember that song! We never had a ukulele, but we sang it anyway.
Gene