Monday, January 4, 2010

10 PEOPLE WHO IMPACTED MY LIFE - Part 1 of 2

At the beginning of each new year the newspapers (and now the internet) is rife with “Recaps” – 10 resolutions, 10 best songs, 10 deaths, top 10 books, 10 funny happenings, 10 new inventions….whatever you think of, there can be a list of 10 best or 10 worst, etc.

And so it made me think of my own personal “10” list of something – and at least for this first one I decided to think about the 10 people who most impacted my life.

Surprising to me was that I didn’t have to mull over this list as I anticipated doing; instead, the names came rolling out of my brain as if they were just standing there waiting to be written. So I’ll go with those ten, and tell you a little about why they are there. They are in no particular order of importance but more reflect the periods in my life.

1. My father, Scott Dobbins
It was my father who imprinted on my life a work ethic which I adopted for myself and which I expected of husbands. My dad was the first person at work each day and the last to leave. He took responsibility for his job and his family. He always gave 100% and expected it of others. But instead of making him a tyrant, he treated his employees with kindness, and on his 90th birthday some of those employees came to his party and honored him with their expressions of love and gratitude. He was one to emulate, that’s for sure.


2. My High School 10th grade English Teacher – Eleanor Weiherman
Miss Weiherman opened up the world of literature to me. In her class, among other things we were introduced to Silas Marner, A Tale of Two Cities, Julius Caesar, Moby Dick, a play called On Borrowed Time and poetry. We studied grammar too, but it was in reading and discussing these books that I learned there was more than science fiction books sitting on library shelves, which up until that time was my genre of choice. She moved me along the spectrum. For that I am grateful.

3. My Journalism Teacher in high school - Gary Lynes.
His constant praising of my work, recalled in my memory and reflected in my report cards of the period, gave me badly-needed self-confidence and the bravery to tackle the editorship of a weekly high school newspaper. Every kid in school should have a Gary Lynes.


4. My music professor at Pepperdine – Gaylord Browne, whom we referred to as “Papa.”
There is almost always a close connection between choir members and their conductor/teacher. Papa Browne was fun to be around and always motivated us to do "it," whatever "it" was, better than we thought we could. But for a select few of us who were not music majors, he took the time to introduce us to much more than just our choir music; he played violin in the orchestra of the Los Angeles MasterSingers Chorale in Los Angeles and he took us to their practices, where we were exposed to a much higher level of talent and a much broader range of music. It was there that I heard George Antheil’s amazing “Eight Fragments from Shelley, for mixed chorus and piano” and dates from 1950 – which I learned was actually music, and which to this day is my favorite.

5. My Sociology Professor at Long Beach State College – Dr. David Dressler.
Unfortunately I do not have a photo of Dr. Dressler. I wish I did. I had entered college intending to major in Sociology without really understanding what that entailed or what it would equip me for in life. In 1957, after marrying and having two babies, I finally returned to school, opting for Long Beach State, where I entered as a junior. It was there in Dr. Dressler’s classes I learned about social justice and social liberalism, something that none of my other sociology classes had even touched on. I must say Dr. Dressler opened up a whole new world to me, and while it took a few years for me to synthesize it into my life, it finally jelled and I have always felt that my political views were directly molded by this amazing man and his stories of the early labor movement in this country.

To Be Continued.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Eleanor Weiherman at Long Beach City College. She one time referenced my favorite book. ANNE OF GREEN GABLES. From that time on, we were friends. Terrific lady ....and I miss her. I'm glad she impacted your life too.

Spotnik said...

Gaylord Browne was my first cousin once removed, and sadly little is known about him in my family. My mom thought he was wonderful, though, and knew he was a great talent. I found out years later that he studied with Bruno Walter in Europe before founding the Evansville Philharmonic back around '39 or so. He left her and my sisters a bit of money when he passed away in 1974. The photo you posted is one of the only two I have ever seen of him

Doc smith said...

Eleanor was my aunt, originally from DeKalb Illinois she engendered a love of literature and writing in her many nieces and nephews. It was not unusual for one of us to get our letters back in the mail with corrections in grammar, punctuation or word choice. I stopped writing to her, but continue writing to this day. She was an inspiration to many! Thank you for your kind words.

Unknown said...

Hi! I am the half sister of Michael Gaylord Smith, grand son of Gaylord H Browne. I have in my posession ALL his photographs, letters, music, scrap books etc. Please contact me if you would be interested in knowing more about your cousine! email:
lavadesignbyemiliesmith@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Hi! I am the half sister of Michael Gaylord Smith, grand son of Gaylord H Browne. I have in my posession ALL his photographs, letters, music, scrap books etc. Please contact me if you would be interested in knowing more about your cousine! email:
lavadesignbyemiliesmith@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Hi! I am the half sister of Michael Gaylord Smith, grand son of Gaylord H Browne. I have in my posession ALL his photographs, letters, music, scrap books etc. Please contact me if you would be interested in knowing more about your cousine! email:
lavadesignbyemiliesmith@gmail.com