Sunday, January 10, 2010

IS THIS SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT?


I have always liked to have a “Thought (or Inspiration) for the Day” book on hand to read first thing in the morning. I think this probably came from having “morning devotions” during the years I was involved in church doings. I especially like uplifting little homilies upon which I can reflect during the day and hold on to if the going gets rough. Toward the end of each year I start nosing around for just the right book.

However, I have to confess that I must be very hard to inspire, because I’ll be danged if I can find books that suit me. What looked good yesterday seems never to be followed by what looks good today. After a couple of miss-fits, I usually just throw up my hands, toss the book aside (unless it is a library book, in which case I return it), and forget it for another year.

This year I found a book that offered daily reflections using “contemporary spirituality” and since I am not totally averse to things spiritual I figured I’d give this one a try. Days 1 through 8 have gone fairly well, although none of the words for the day have been particularly soul-grabbing, but I have to tell you Day 9 caused me to snort in disagreement. I’ve never snorted before over anything purported to be inspirational, but there is always a first time.

The first words on Day 9 that didn’t set right was a quote from Dr. Mickey Mouse, complete with quotation marks. Right off the bat my eyebrows went up. If the writer had said Dr. Albert Einstein I might have reacted differently, but I decided I'd make allowances for that cutesy bit because the quotation had to do with aging. I figured I could use all the help I could get. I simply tried not to think I was being patronized.

Then good old Dr. Mouse said we have to play, which is not an auspicious continuation! As if to add authenticity to Dr. Mouse’s quote, the writer goes on to say mice are often used in tests because they have much the same DNA as humans. Dr. Mouse says studies show that old mice like to do fun things like running on wheels, and because it is so much fun they grow more new brain cells than mice who are living in boring wheel-less cages. I say that if the old mice are running on wheels they are a better “old” than I am. I can’t think of anything I can do at this age and stage of my life that would parallel running on wheels. And even if I did, I certainly wouldn’t think that is fun.

And then what struck me is one of the most equivocating sentences I’ve read in a long time: “scientists believe that these studies reveal that the brains of elderly humans MAY also richly benefit from a variety of enjoyable activities.” It was the wording I objected to. “Studies MIGHT mean…” makes a whole lot more sense than saying “Studies REVEAL…” Maybe I’m being too word-picky. But be that as it may, I don’t need Dr. Mouse to tell me I will benefit from a variety of enjoyable activities. I know that. But as I look at my options now, I don’t find one thing available to me that looks like I’d be able to play with it. At least not with the state of my health or the state of my purse. Maybe when I get really old and senile and move into my second childhood my kids can provide me with some stuffed toys and some metal bed-trays with magnetized Legos on them. But until then, forget the playing!

The writer ends with urging us to keep our spirits BRISKLY alive by fun and playing our way through life. Bah! Humbug! Dr. Mouse did NOT inspire me today.

No comments: